Friday, June 12, 2015

A Vexing Personal Flaw

I don't know what my deal is, but I can never concentrate on things that I'm supposed to be concentrating on. When I'm running Deadlands, I read Fate Core during my prep time. When I switch to Fate Core and I'm supposed to be working on my game, I start reading OneDice Urban Fantasy. When I start thinking -just thinking, mind you- about maybe throwing together a UDUF game, suddenly I find myself reading the fiction at the beginning of the Numenera core book.

I've heard people refer to this as "Gamer ADD," but I'm not sure that's what's going on here. I have this weird compulsion to work on anything, anything, other than what I'm actually supposed to be working on...and if I switch what I'm working on, my attention moves somewhere else. It's one of the reasons I have half a dozen gaming projects in cryostasis.

This particular quirk of my personality only applies to gaming; it doesn't affect my job. It is quite vexing, however, and I feel like it's getting worse as time goes on.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back to doing just about anything but prepping for the Fate Core game I am running tonight.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like bog-standard Gamer ADD to *me*.

    I tend to experience this more about campaigns or settings than rules systems, but I do know the feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that, too. Maybe I can get all the "oooh shiny" out of my system.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I get bouts of this. Oh, and thanks. Your speaking of OneDice encouraged me to check it out. I totally bought OneDice Pulp. Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I bought print copies of OneDice Urban Fantasy, Steampunk, and Cyberpunk. I'll probably get Fantasy eventually, but those three are my jam for now.

      Delete