Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Flavoring My Game

With my D&D 5th edition game coming up fast, I've been toying around with setting ideas. I plan to be a little bit more bottom-up in my design than I usually am, if only because it seems that my last several attempts at starting a fantasy campaign have been false starts, leaving me with a lot of wasted time and effort.

I'm feeling a mashup of Arabia, Persia, various parts of northern Africa, and a little India. I'm looking mostly for flavor, rather than attempting to be historically accurate. (It is a fantasy game, after all) I'm thinking a mashup much like how the default D&D setting is a mashup of various European cultures.

I've spent this morning and yesterday reading Al-Qadim source books from good ol' 2nd edition. I was at first tempted to use Al-Qadim whole cloth, but I've since decided to take bits and pieces and generally use it as inspiration. I also plan to raid Spears of the Dawn (because I love me some Kevin Crawford)

Blast it, I'm already doing top-down. I think I'm going to back off and define one large city or perhaps fortress that will serve as a starting point for the campaign.




5 comments:

  1. Um...have you checked out Five Ancient Kingdoms? it does have some setting material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. Is it available on PDF?

      Delete
    2. @DMW:

      Yes, at DrivethruRPG:

      http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=five+ancient+kingdoms&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

      The first volume (Men & Mettle) has quite a bit of the setting info as a "player guide." The second volume (Magic & Monsters) contains a cosmology to justify the creatures of the setting. The third volume (Dragon Master Secrets) contains information on the Kingdoms surrounding the land of Barica ("Arabia," duh...).

      I've had a lot of positive feedback from folks using the books.
      : )

      Delete
  2. The Emirates of Ylaruam is a good resource for that sort of game as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to bust out the old Cyclopedia! (Actually I bust it out every Sunday, but whatevs.)

      Delete