Monday, January 11, 2016

The Purge, Part...4?

This weekend, I bid farewell to the remains of my White Wolf collection, even the old books. I came to the stark realization that my gaming tastes simply do not sync with the mechanics or aesthetics, and that many of the 'happy' memories I have of the old World of Darkness are rose-tinted shadows of things that weren't nearly as good as I wish they had been.

In the last six months, I've cut my gaming collection nearly in half. What I have left are things that I intend to run. No more looking for lost or obscure systems. I want things that add to the games I already run.

In all of my excising, I picked up a 3rd party module called Clockwork Mage that looks pretty sweet. I haven't had much of a chance to dig through it. If it sucks, it was only three dollars.

5 comments:

  1. My collection is also a shell of its former glory. These days I find the thing I most want to collect and keep is cash. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the words of the Sages of Old: "Cash rules everything around me."

      Delete
  2. I've had to pass up some cool stuff, just because I knew that there was no way in hell I'd ever run it. The original Werewolf was one of those; it would have been cool to have it for eight bucks, but unless the fluff made excellent light-reading it would just sit on my shelf for a few years. Ditto for Immortals (one of the less-robust NWoD books).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You're a braver man than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think this is something I should've done a long time ago. My collection went from something that brought me joy to something that just felt like an obligation, or a waste, or a trap, depending on the day. With a lot of those games out of the way, I can work on things that I might actually run rather than get hung up on the should've-runs or used-to runs. At one point I counted that if I ran every game in my collection for a short six month campaign, I wouldn't finish running them all until I was 68.

      Delete