Monday, February 29, 2016

Down the Research Rabbit Hole

As I prepare for my Savage Worlds steampunk game, "The RS Files," which is slated to begin this Friday, I have stumbled into one of the all-too-regular traps of the overly enthusiastic GM: the research rabbit hole.

Like the last time I ran this campaign, I want to pepper the game with historical figures, especially obscure ones, who were involved with the cutting edge of science in 1888. This leads to hours of hopping from webpage to webpage when I should probably be sorting out the events of the first few sessions of play.
 
I've also got to keep reminding myself that I can play fast and loose with history. This is a steampunk game featuring some supernatural elements.... if you can swallow that magic is a thing, you can swallow that this dude joined the Royal Society a few years before he actually did, etc.

Unrelated: My print copy of Ruins & Ronin arrived over the weeekend. I dearly wish it was the same dimensions as S&W Whitebox, Skyscrapers & Sorcery, White Lies, and White Star... .or similar, anyway.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some gears to grind.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize R&R wasn't sized for S&W Whitebox, that is disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed... I'd have this wonderful little stack, but Ruins & Ronin sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb.

    ReplyDelete