Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Royal Society Rides Again

A few years ago, I ran a short-lived steampunk game using Savage Worlds. I blogged about the few sessions we ran... I believe it was late 2011. The players were all in the employ of the Royal Society for Improving Natural Knowledge in an alternate 1889 where the Babbage-Lovelace Analytical Engine has revolutionized technology and industry for nearly half a century.

I am rebooting this campaign. My plan is to start the first Friday in March and run it every other week. The group consists of all people I have gamed with before (except for one). Some of them have gamed with each other ,some have not. They're generally more characterization focused than making sure their character is the Ass-Kickin'est Ass-Kicker in Kickassistan. None of the original players will be playing due to various changes in circumstance.

I struggled with the decision to make a campaign Wiki or not back when I first ran it, and I have that same hesitance now. I started up a simple Wiki on Obsidian Portal, but I find it to be tedious work. I'd like to find a way to make my campaign information sharable with my players but not have it be a huge pain in the ass... maybe just Word docs and G**gle Drive?

Looking forward to getting back in the driver's seat...of the steam wagon!

(You D&D players, despair ye not... I still plan to bring back the Saturday game)

4 comments:

  1. Now that I've had experience with this sort of thing (both playing Savage Worlds, and making a campaign wiki), I can say that I'm looking forward to any future posts about this game, once it gets going.

    Also, have you tried Wikia for making a campaign database? I've been using that one, and it's slightly less tedious than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into that. Right now I'm moving away from Obsidian Portal because I just don't like it. It feels like I'm doing a lot of work with not a lot of return.

      Delete
  2. See, now what aren't you adapting THIS to B/X?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No adaptation needed. Go grab a copy of Engines & Empires and leave out the demihumans. You could also use part of my Mythic West treatment, since the time periods are largely the same.


      Delete