Friday, April 15, 2016

KantCon 2016 and My Loss of Street Cred

I'm going to KantCon this July for the 5th year in a row. Since I always seem to run Lamentations (whether I intend to or not), I decided to continue the tradition. Likewise, I am continuing my yearly Starships & Spacemen 2nd edition event that uses the same crew and ship.

The events I'm running:

"You Never Get a Second Chance" (Starships & Spacemen 2nd edition) The crew of the Armiger is charged with recovering a first contact mission gone horribly wrong on a planet with hostile flora and fauna.

"A Thousand Dead Babies", the module by Zzarchov Kowolski. I'm using the Lamentations rules for it. I'm also changing the name - see below for that story. I'm going to try to make it "extra pilgrim-y" and play up the whole "Young Goodman Brown" aspect of the tale.

"Djinn and Tonics" (OneDice Urban Fantasy) The PCs are charged with stopping an unstable, unlicensed alchemist plying his trade in the supernatural community of San Francisco.

"The Devil Rakan" (Ruins & Ronin) As troubleshooters for the local daimyo, the PCs are tasked with recovering delinquency taxes from a fishing village. However, all is not what it seems...

Alright, so let's talk about the name change. The KantCon staff contacted me and asked me to change the name of the event. KantCon is a family event. They're worried about people complaining about the name.

They didn't tell me. They didn't threaten or cajole me. They asked me, and they did so very politely. I agreed to re-title the event "The Goat, the Basinet, and the Dark, Dark Woods." I get that there are a lot of families at KantCon. This is my con, and it's been very good to me over the years. I have been asked to change nothing except for the event title.

There are probably some folks in the blog community who would have probably pulled the event, refused to change the name, made snide comments about SJWs/crybullies/censorship, or something equally charming.

That being said, I'm looking forward to KantCon and to my events.

I am very, very close to finishing the horrendous grind that is the gear chapter for White Box Cyberpunk, after which I will knock out the cyberware. It should all be downhill from there, methinks.



No comments:

Post a Comment