Thursday, September 14, 2017

Blood and Magic and Maybe Claws

So, everybody probably knows about The Black Hack by David Black. It's pretty rad.

A dude named Matthew Skail hacked The Black Hack into The Blood Hack, which is a dope little modern vampire game in the vein (ha!) of Vampire: the Masquerade but without all the baggage and like 1/5th the page count.

I wrote a patch for The Blood Hack called The Witch Hack. It presently exists as a 16 page Word document on my laptop. The first draft is complete and (hopefully) playable. It's only 16 pages because I didn't reiterate any general rules from the Blood Hack. (Weapon charts, profession rules, basic game play stuff, etc.) I may have been primarily motivated to do this because my significant other wanted to play a witch in a game full of vampires. Love makes people do silly things.

Now, I just need to figure out if I should actually add the rest of the rule stuff and throw it on DriveThru (I wouldn't ask any money for it, since it's a patch of a hack of a hack of a game) or host it on MediaFire or make it a series of blog posts or just leave it on my laptop and use it with my semi-theoretical home group.

I also started working on a Werewolf Hack. I'm completely and utterly stuck. Matthew Skail commented on DriveThru that he was also working on a wolfy supplement and was kind of stuck on it.

As I said, the draft is complete, but here are the basic mechanics:

-Witches are a lot easier to kill than vampires, basically the same level of survivability that normal Black Hack characters have.

-Witches have Circles, which fill the exact same role as Houses in The Blood Hack. Rather than trace their lineage to a mythical Progenitor, Circles represent broad traditions that recognize a patroness, usually a goddess of yore. Circle determines HP, damage, special abilities, and some starting spells.

-Witches get spells, pretty much like Black Hack magic-users/clerics, but they can learn/cast spells above their level at risk to themselves.

-Witches have Gifts, kind of like Blood Hack's Blood Gifts, that represent witchly powers that aren't explicitly spells. (Brewing potions, sixth sense, etc)

-Witches have Power instead of Blood, which lets witches cast above their level, fuel certain Gifts, etc.

-Witches have to worry about Corruption, similar to the vampire struggle with Morality.

Finally, I offer a brief overview of the four major Circles:

*The Circle of Cerridwen- healers, sages, protectors.

*The Circle of Circe- purveyors of illusion, seducers, shapeshifters.

*The Circle of Hekate- Makers of potions and dealers with spirits.

*The Circle of the Norns- Diviners and manipulators of Fate.


I had a fifth Circle I was working on, the Circle of Oya, with control over winds, thunder, and lightning. I haven't finished it and ultimately cut it from the complete draft.

...really no idea how to come up with different classes of wolves. I definitely do not want to go the Werewolf: the Apocalypse route.



2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I actually hadn't heard of The Black Hack before this! Reading about it now, though, I might have to check it out.

    If you're interested in rules-light cWoD-type games, you might try the free Introductory Kits that White Wolf put out for each of their lines in the late 90s. I've been considering running either Vampire or Mage straight from those booklets, particularly after growing even more impatient with hefty tomes of minutiae.

    Also, good to see you posting on occasion once again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to check that out. I tried drafting a few rules-lite incarnations of WoD about five years ago, but none of them really did what I wanted them to do. I also tried coming up with a version of WoD using Fudge, but it also never quite gelled how I wanted it to gel.

      I'll try to post about once a week. Last year was personally rough and I kind of lost all blog enthusiasm.

      Delete