The RIFTS Magic and Psi conversion still isn't going well.
I'm thinking here's the deal with magic:
1. AD&D Magic spells. Wizard and Priest spells are merged together; there is no divine magic.
2. Fixed cost of 5 PPE per spell level, with cantrips costing a mere 2 PPE each.
3. Spells that I feel should be ported over from RIFTS shall be.
4. Ley Line Walkers, Shifters, Techmagi, and Mystics will have separate spell lists,the way magic-users and illusionists did in AD&D 1.
5. I'll probably leave ranges the same for now and see how well it plays out. Ranged weapons in my conversion actually have range penalties now, and it is much more difficult to hit a target. (Armor now provides an AC to hit, rather than just having to roll 8+ like in RIFTS as written.)
Now, as for psionics....
Ugh. I was planning on using the psionics system from AD&D 2nd edition, but I don't like that you have to roll to use your psi power. (Then again, warriors have to roll to attack and city rats have to roll to use skills...) At any rate, I either have to reorganize the AD&D powers into the RIFTS categories, or else rewrite the converted RIFTS classes so that their powers come from the AD&D psionic categories. I will probably also have to convert the technology based psi, since it has no AD&D equivalent, and the special Burster powers that all revolve around fire. Fun fun.
I have put entirely too much work into this to give up!